Historic note regarding “Rutiliano”
Rutiliano is the most ancient and historical documented name of a locality near Pienza, adjacent to the town, which has evidently been inhabited since prehistoric times. The name appeared for the first time in several Longobardi documents dating from 714 and 715.
About a century later, in 828, the name Rutiliano appeared in a sales contract to indicate Corsignano as a village situated on a hill, that was to be rebuilt at the beginning of 1459 onwards by Pope Pius II, calling it Pienza.
We have decided to give the name Rutiliano to our modern hotel because we think that rescuing such an ancient word which belongs to our land can only unfold some mysteries on the origins of a town or of a city’s monument. What is more, long after the foundation of Pienza, at the beginning of the 16th century, the Sienese historian Sigismondo Tizio wrote: “the Rutiliano’s road begins at Pienza’s Gate….”, where as a matter of fact is located our hotel.
From Corsignano to Pienza
Pienza is a complete Renaissance creation conceived as an Utopian “New Town” by Pope Pius II, Aeneas Sylvius Piccolomini. The site Pope Pius II chose was the village of Corsignano, where he was born into an exiled Sienese family in 1405. His architect was Bernardo Gambarelli, called Rossellino, who worked under the guidance of Leon Battista Alberti.
Along the Corso Rossellino we find the remained 15thcentury palaces, this street leads to the Piazza Pio II (the heart of the town) which embraces the Duomo and other important palaces.
After over 3 years of work on the 29th of August 1462 for the Festività di San Giovanni Battista, Pope Pius II consecrates the Duomo and inaugurates the new town of Pienza. But neither Pope Pius II neither Rossellino could enjoyed long of their creation as both died in 1464.